A report from the Executive Director - Place is attached. (Report No.215, agenda part two also refers) (Key decision – reference number 4613)
(7.30 – 7.40 pm)
Councillor Dino Lemonides (Cabinet Member for Housing) introduced the report of the Executive Director – Place (No.212) seeking approval to the disposal of the sites identified for the delivery of the Custom Build Homes Scheme in Enfield.
1. That Report No.215 also referred as detailed in Minute No.14 below.
2. A correction to the table detailed in paragraph 3.31 of the report, which should contain 15 sites, not 16 as stated. The Ingersoll Road Garages had been included twice.
3. That this was a pilot scheme funded by the GLA which enabled the development of difficult garage and car parking sites into homes that could be self-finished by local first-time buyers at a market discount. Through the scheme the Council partnered with a not-for-profit developer to assemble and sell land for homes, pending planning obtained by the developer.
4. That disposal of these sites had previously been approved in 2016, however a new Cabinet approval was required to agree a change from a leasehold model to a full sale model as a result of a change in government policy since the original model had been proposed.
5. The detail of the scheme set out in full in the report. Restrictive covenants would be put in place regarding sale and purchase of the properties as outlined in the report and Heads of Terms.
6. That it was proposed to proceed with 7 sites immediately.
7. The background to the developer, Naked House Community Builders which was supported by the GLA. There were currently no other providers and funders in the market for this pilot scheme. This was an important and exciting scheme in supporting the Council’s priority of providing more affordable housing within the Borough.
Alternative Options Considered: NOTED, the alternative options that had been considered as detailed in section 4 of the report and including: Do nothing; disposal of the sites at full market value on the open market; direct development of the sites for new housing by the Council; work with Housing Gateway or Enfield Innovations to deliver the scheme; and, bring the sites back into use as garages or parking areas.
DECISION: The Cabinet agreed to
1. The disposal of sites listed in the report on a freehold basis to Naked House Community Builders (CIC); based on affordable housing site valuations; with appropriate agreements and restrictive covenants to enable affordable custom build development of the sites.
2. Delegate to the Director of Housing and Regeneration, in consultation with the Cabinet Member for Housing, the authority to add or adjust the list of sites for participation in the scheme.
3. The appropriation of the sites agreed with Naked House for planning purposes, subject to the Developer entering into an indemnity to cover the Council’s costs.
4. Delegate authority to the Director of Law and Governance to seek the Secretary of State’s consent for the disposal of the sites.
5. Delegate authority to the Director of Housing and Regeneration, in consultation with the Cabinet Member for Housing, to finalise ... view the full minutes text for item 5