To receive the report of the Assistant Director of Public Health in respect of the Healthy Weight Strategy and action plan.
RECEIVED the report of the Assistant Director of Public Health and the updated Enfield Healthy Weight Strategy and action plan.
NOTED the introduction by Ailbhe Bhreathnach, Health in All Policies (HiAP) Strategist, highlighting the latest statistics regarding prevalence of overweight or obesity in children and adults, and the link between excess weight and deprivation. The strategic objectives set out the vision for Enfield and were aligned with the 3-4-50 concept. Attention was drawn to the objective to make tackling obesity everybody’s business, and the Board’s commitment was sought to taking action.
IN RESPONSE comments and questions included:
1. There was a need to do something locally now.
2. The area identified which needed more work was how to make tackling obesity everybody’s business, and the existing Healthy Weight Partnership group was a good way of going forward.
3. There were complex factors around excess weight and changing of behaviour.
4. It was suggested that focus should be concentrated where deprivation was highest, and on practical, effective suggestions.
5. There was potential for place shaping to address these issues in the new Local Plan.
6. Ailbhe Bhreathnach asked to be advised of any other groups who should be engaged with. The Youth Parliament should be included.
AGREED that Health and Wellbeing Board:
(1) Approved the Healthy Weight Strategy and action plan (with a recommendation that it be sharpened and focussed);
(2) Considered what actions their respective organisations can take to meet the strategic objective to ‘Make tackling obesity everybody’s business’;
(3) Requested an initial implementation report in six months.