A report from the Executive Director – People is attached (Report No.191, agenda part two also refers). (Key decision – reference number 4794)
(7.30 – 7.40 pm)
Councillor Yasemin Brett (Cabinet Member for Public Health) introduced the report of the Executive Director – People (No.186) seeking approval to the extension of the Integrated Sexual Health Community Services Contract.
1. That Report No.191 also referred as detailed in Minute No.14 below.
2. That in July 2015 the Cabinet had approved the award of contract for Integrated Sexual Health Community Services in Enfield to the North Middlesex University Hospital NHS Trust (NMUH) for an initial period of 3 years, 5 months, with options to apply two further extensions of 2 years to a maximum period of 7 years and 5 months. The contract was due to come to an end on 31 March 2019 and a further extension of 2 years was sought to ensure stability in service provision. NMUH had agreed to reduce the value of the block arrangement by £200k per annum should the first 2 year extension to the contract be enacted, as detailed in the report. There would be no negative impact on service provision and it was anticipated that there would be increasing access of services to Enfield residents.
3. That the Council had a statutory duty to provide Integrated Sexual Health Services as part of its Public Health England requirements. This was a demand-led service.
Alternative Options Considered: NOTED, that alternative options would include re-tendering the service at the end of this initial contract period of 31 March 2019 or removing the block element of the contract by being fully compliant with a payment by results mechanism. As performance had continued to improve and North Middlesex University Hospital was offering to reduce the value of the block these options had been discounted.
DECISION: The Cabinet agreed to approve
1. The extension of the Integrated Sexual Health Community Services Contract with North Middlesex University Hospital for a further two years on a reduced block payment.
2. Delegation of authority to the Executive Director – People to extend the contract for a further two years in 2021 subject to satisfactory performance.
Reason: Extending the contract would be both a cost-saving for the London Borough of Enfield and provide certainty to the NHS provider for a further two years. It would afford efficiency gains for the Council addressing the steady growth of 13.5% and 7.5% in activity across year 1 and 2 respectively of this extension. North Middlesex University Hospital would be required to continue to increase in-borough activity for the GUM Service, leading to a reduction in out of borough activity thereby providing further efficiencies for the Council.
(Key decision – reference number 4794)