Agenda and draft minutes

Venue: Room 1, Civic Centre, Silver Street, Enfield, EN1 3XA. View directions

Contact: Stacey Gilmour 

Items
No. Item

1.

WELCOME & APOLOGIES

Minutes:

The Chair, Councillor Brett welcomed everyone to the meeting and introduced the Officers in attendance. Apologies for absence were received from Councillors Chamberlain and Fallart. Apologies for lateness were also received from Councillor Stewart.

2.

ELECTION OF CHAIR & VICE-CHAIR

To elect the Chair and Vice-Chair of the Green Belt Forum for the municipal year 2017/18.

Minutes:

NOTED that the election of Chair and Vice-Chair was deferred to the next meeting.

3.

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST

Members of the Council are invited to identify any disclosable pecuniary, other pecuniary or non-pecuniary interests relevant to items on the agenda.

Minutes:

There were no declarations of interest in respect of items on the agenda.

4.

UPDATE ON THE LOCAL HERITAGE REVIEW PROJECT

To receive a verbal update (provided by Christine White, Heritage Projects Manager) on the Local Heritage Review Project.

 

It is also hoped that a member of the Enfield Society will also be in attendance at the meeting to provide some information on their involvement with the project.

Minutes:

RECEIVED a written update from Christine White, Heritage Projects Manager on the Local Heritage Review:

 

NOTED:

 

i)                 A Local Heritage Review and preparation of a draft local list had bene undertaken guided by specialists Urban Vision Enterprises CIC and delivered in conjunction with community volunteers identified and organised through a partnership between the Council and The Enfield Society.

ii)               All parts of the Borough have been assessed by the volunteers and the survey data evaluated for compliance with the selection criteria and consistency of approach across the survey areas.

iii)              Public consultation was undertaken on the draft local list (including consultation with property owners). Following completion of the public consultation on 30th November 2016, responses were considered and amendments mad.

iv)             The new Local List was approved by Cabinet at their meeting of 13th September 2017.

v)               The new Local List, along with the guidance on the selection criteria and an explanation of the local list and what it means can be found at:www.enfield.gov.uk/services/planning/heritage-conservation-and-countryside/listed-buildings

 

A further update was provided by John West from The Enfield Society who had worked in partnership with Enfield Council on the Local Heritage Review.

 

NOTED:

 

·       The Enfield Society had advertised the project in their newsletter and 50/60 volunteers had come forward;

·       Urban Vision delivered volunteer training from July – September 2015. The volunteers undertook the survey work between July and December 2015. All parts of the Borough were assessed by the volunteers;

·       Urban Vision also prepared draft technical designation criteria for assessing the borough’s local heritage assets, in accordance with Historic England (HE) best practice guidance and this was used by the volunteers throughout the process;

·       Volunteers were given detailed plans of the borough which were then divided up by ward boundaries. Volunteers then went out and walked the borough. The area that John himself covered took approximately two days;

·       In total the project took 250 days to complete and had involved an enormous amount of time and resource;

·       A Local Heritage Review Board, convened from stakeholders across the project (including The Enfield Society, Enfield Conservation Advisory Group, Local History Officers, Historic England and a Volunteers representative) evaluated the survey data collected by the volunteers for compliance with the agreed selection criteria and consistency of approach across the survey areas. This took place between November 2015 and January 2016;

·       All in all the project had worked remarkably well, so much so that the London Borough of Barnet has now decided to copy the process. This project has been a great example of Enfield Council working closely with The Enfield Society and other partnership groups.

 

The Chair thanked John for his informative and interesting update and asked whether the volunteers had been recognised in any way for this invaluable task that they had undertaken. John advised that an event has been organised for November to recognise and celebrate the work of the volunteers and to meet with the Mayor of Enfield.

 

The Chair concluded by extended her thanks to The Enfield Society and  ...  view the full minutes text for item 4.

5.

MINUTES OF THE LAST MEETING HELD ON 30 MARCH 2017 pdf icon PDF 91 KB

To agree the minutes of the meeting held on 30 March 2017.

Minutes:

AGREED the minutes of the meeting held on 30 March 2017.

6.

UPDATES FROM MATTERS ARISING AT THE MEETING ON 30 MARCH 2017

To receive an update on matters arising from the last meeting on 30 March 2017.

Minutes:

Draft Parks Strategy

 

The following question was raised at the last meeting and a response i still awaited:

 

Q.      The Chair, Cllr Brett asked if other boroughs are able to access funding from the GLA when hosting large events.

A.       Matthew Watts will take this back for further investigation.

Action: Stacey Gilmour to chase up response

 

Sloemans Farm Whitewebbs Road

 

Contact Property Services for a further update on this item.

Action: Stacey Gilmour/Property Services

 

North Lodge Cottages

 

Robert Oles, Planning Enforcement Officer to provide a post meeting update.

Action: Robert Oles

 

Local Plan Review and Green Belt Review

 

Residents were disappointed that a further update on this matter was not available at this meeting. It was explained that this was due to the fact that progress in this matter had been delayed therefore at present there was no new information to report. It was envisaged however that a further update would be available for the next meeting of the Green Belt Forum in January 2018. In the meantime residents felt it would be useful to update the Council website with information on the delays and expected timescales.

Action: Stacey Gilmour/Tony Pierce, Interim Head of Projects Strategic Policy & Design

7.

ANY OTHER BUSINESS

Minutes:

Q.      There appears to be a lot of activity taking place on a large area of land in Whitewebbs Lane (that stretches as far as the M25). Is building work planned in this area?

 

A.       There is no land in this area that has planning permission for development. However the activity that you can see on this land is where noise attenuation bunds are being constructed to shield the agriculture land from the M25 noise.

 

Q.      Mr Jewson raised regarding the state of Whitewebbs Park in Whitewebbs Lane. Trees are leaning on other trees which could prove to be very dangerous in high winds. Drift wood can be seen floating in the pond and the area was generally looking a bit of a mess. It was felt that it was a real shame to see this park in this state as it is a beautiful place, which we should be proud to have in Enfield and should be trying to attract people into Enfield to visit this park.

 

A.       Jo-Anne Brown, Friends of Forty Hall (FOFH) said she would talk to Mr Jewson at the end of the meeting as there may be the possibility for the FOFH to incorporate Whitewebbs Park in their work.

 

Q.      Public events at Trent Park are not being policed properly. The decibel level of music appears extremely high during the events, there is evidence of drug taking and lots of rubbish is also left behind.

 

 A.      Matthew Watts, Parks & Business Strategy and Partnerships Manager will be invited to a future meeting to discuss this issue in more detail.

          Action: Stacey Gilmour

 

Q.      Is there a general policy on individual plaques and memorials being erected in parks and public places.

         

A.       Clarification would be sought on this matter and fed back at the next meeting of the Forum.

          Action: Stacey Gilmour

 

Q.      The hedgerows in Ferny Hill have once again been cut too thinly. Why is this?

 

A.       There is a cutting back rota in place. However further clarification on the cutting back of this hedgerow in particular would be sought from highways and an update provided at the next meeting.

          Action: Stacey Gilmour/Highways

 

Q.      What flood preparations and plans to we have in place in Enfield should there be a surge of bad weather.

 

A.       We will invite the Emergency Planning Department to a future meeting of the Green Belt Forum to discuss this and other emergency planning concerns.

Action: Stacey Gilmour

 

          Robert Oles advised the forum that following the problem with travellers during August and September. On Wednesday 4 October 2017 the High Court granted an Injunction Order for a three year period preventing anyone (persons unknown) from setting up an encampment on any of Enfield’s Parks and Open Spaces. The Injunction Order contains a Penal Notice which means that anyone breaching it will be in contempt of Court. It remains in force until 3 October 2020.

 

          From 10 October 2017 High Court Bailiffs served (posted) the Injunction Order to all entrances to  ...  view the full minutes text for item 7.

8.

SUGGESTIONS FOR FUTURE MEETINGS

To discuss suggestions for future meetings

Minutes:

NOTED the suggestions for future meetings as follows:

 

·       Update on the Local Plan Review & Green Belt Review

·       National London Parks City Initiative

·       Emergency Planning Concerns- to receive an update form the Emergency Planning Department

·       Presentation from the Friends of Firs Farm

9.

DATES OF FUTURE MEETINGS

To note the dates of future meetings as follows:

 

Tuesday 9 January 2018

Thursday 22 March 2018

Minutes:

NOTED the dates of future meetings as follows:

 

Tuesday 9 January 2018

Thursday 22 March 2018