Agenda and draft minutes

Deaf Community Forum
Wednesday, 20th March, 2019 7.15 pm

Venue: Community House, Fore Street, Edmonton N9 0PZ

Contact: Stacey Gilmour 020 8379 4187  Email: stacey.gilmour@enfield.gov.uk

Items
No. Item

1.

WELCOME & APOLOGIES

Minutes:

Councillor Yusef welcomed all Councillors, attendees and speakers to the meeting. The BSL Interpreters and Hands on Signers were introduced.

 

Apologies for absence were received from Councillor Mustafa Cetinkaya.

2.

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST

Minutes:

No declarations of interest were received.

3.

UPDATE FROM COMMUNITY BARNET

Minutes:

RECEIVED an update from Tola Kolawole, Head of Wellbeing, CommUNITY Barnet on progress of the service to date.

 

NOTED:

 

(i)            Communication with Dial a Ride can be made via email, SMS and a small amount via RNID text.

(ii)          Deaf Awareness training will take place on 2nd April 2019 for all staff and volunteers that deliver Enfield Connection Services. This training will be provided by ENDIG and had been arranged and advertised via Simone at the Deaf Project.

(iii)         As agreed at the last meeting of the Deaf Community Forum in December 2018, Tola and Angela met with Mary White on 17th January 2019 to discuss the various issues that had been raised at the Forum and how these could be addressed.

(iv)         Conversations had also been held with the Jewish Deaf Association and ideas and suggestions for good practice and partnership working with Enfield Disability Action (EDA) and Enfield Connections had been discussed. Conversations were also ongoing with the Sensory Impairment Team to look at better partnership working with them.

 

Following Tola’s update the following questions and discussions took place:

 

·         Following discussions held at the last meeting of the Forum Councillor Susan Erbil had met with Doug Wilson, Head of Strategy & Service Development, HHASC to seek some information and answers on the decision to award the contract to CommUNITY Barnet. Doug updated Councillor Erbil on some of the issues that had been present with the original contract with EDA and advised her on the procurement and bidding process which led to CommUNITY Barnet being awarded the ‘Lot 6 Increased & Improved Information & Advice Contract’

·         It had been felt that the existing service provided by the Deaf Project/EDA did not encourage independency and service users were therefore becoming too reliant on them.  Enfield Connections provide a huge range of services which help to create independency rather than dependency on one service user.

·         The current contract with CommUNITY Barnet is for a seven-year period. If, however it is deemed that the service provided is not adequate there is a three-year break clause within the seven years, then every two years thereafter, therefore allowing continual checks and reviews to take place.

·         Julie Pal, Chief Executive, CommUNITY Barnet said that they are aware that the EDA are the Borough’s disabilities experts and as such she hopes to commission the EDA to continue to deliver a service to the community.

·         To date they have commissioned the EDA to continue to provide the Deaf Drop-In Service. There have been no changes to this service, it even has the same worker, yet it has only been used by nine deaf clients. Similarly, the various other services provided by Enfield Connections have only been used by a total of twenty-four deaf clients.

·         When organising the drop-in services, the agreement was that the EDA would advertise them as they know the deaf community well, have great contacts and have the in-roads to engage with the community.

·         Enfield Connections are very happy to be able to work in  ...  view the full minutes text for item 3.

4.

MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 5 DECEMBER 2018 pdf icon PDF 104 KB

To agree the minutes of the meeting held on 5 December 2018

Minutes:

AGREED the minutes of the meeting held on 5 December 2018 subject to the following amendment:

 

Minute No:4 Update from Community Barnet- Page 4, Bullet Point:3

 

Should read:

 

The Chair, Councillor Georgiou advised the audience that the decision had now been made to award Lot 6, Increased & Improved Information & Advice Contract to CommUNITY Barnet. Once the contract expires all the points/concerns raised tonight can be argued again, but at the moment there is nothing legally that can be done to change the situation. For now, however we all need to fight to ensure that the services provided are the best they can be.

5.

FEEDBACK AND SUGGESTIONS FOR FUTURE MEETINGS

(i)            To receive feedback and suggestions for discussion at future meetings.

(ii)          Please can residents advise how they would like to be contacted regarding future meetings of the Deaf Community Forum.

Minutes:

The following items were suggested for future meetings:

 

·         Further update and feedback from CommUNITY Barnet on the service to date.

6.

DATES OF FUTURE MEETINGS

The dates of future meetings will be agreed at the meeting of Annual Council on 8 May 2019.

Minutes:

NOTED that the dates of future meetings will be agreed at the meeting of Annual Council on 8 May 2019.

 

Everyone agreed that they very much wanted the Deaf Community Forum to continue as it was very important for the Deaf Community to have these meetings where they could discuss their issues and concerns with Councillors as well as hear about Council business etc. with Interpreters present.