Venue: Room 1, Civic Centre, Silver Street, Enfield, EN1 3XA. View directions
Contact: Tariq Soomauroo
WELCOME AND APOLOGIES
Councillor Jewell welcomed everyone to the meeting. Apologies for absence had been received from Councillor De Silva, Councillor Lappage and Sharon Burgess. Apologies for lateness received from Councillor Georgiou.
DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST
Members of the Committee are invited to identify any disclosable pecuniary, other pecuniary or non-pecuniary interests relevant to items on the agenda.
There were no declarations of interest in respect of any item listed on the agenda.
To approve the minutes of the previous meeting held on the 13th September 2018
The minutes of the previous meeting held on the 13th September 2018 were AGREED
· Cllr Jewell (Chair) advised due to the lack of responses regarding the proposed MASE meetings, the Committee was unable to arrange a session. Anne Stoker advised additional dates will be made available to be circulated to members
· Anne Stoker informed the task group that negotiations with Enfield Strategic Partnership to fund the theatre play Chelsea’s Choice (40x) and County lines (20x) were successful. Officers will be meeting with school teachers after April 2019 regarding the productions
· Anne Stoker indicated that she is would like a production held at The Dugdale Centre for members to be invited
· Anne Stoker provided an update of the Safeguarding strategy informing the task group that the action plan needs more work, the Board are expected to sign off the strategy in March. Anne and Cllr Jewell to arrange a meeting prior to sign off.
POLICE UPDATE - CHILD EXPLOITATION AND ON-LINE EXPLOITATION
Detective Sergeant Umer Iqbal to present and update on perpetrator profile, disruption and enforcement regarding Child Exploitation and on-line exploitation.
Detective Sergeant Umer Iqbal presented an update on perpetrator profile,
disruption, enforcement regarding Child Exploitation and on-line exploitation.
· It was reported that Enfield and Haringey Police are officially merging in January 2019
· The task group was informed that training will be delivered to officers in schools in both boroughs on safeguarding relating to social media
· Contextual safeguarding – ~Enfield north police will be working with local businesses, youth service and youth clubs
· Police are also working with local hotel staff regarding scenario training.
Andrea Wilkinson, Acting Manager CSEP Team and Karen Alderton, Service Manager to present an update on the work of CSE Team.
Andrea Wilkinson, Acting Manager CSEP Team and Karen Alderton, Service presented an update on the work of the CSEP Team.
· Enfield CSEP team have been established since 2015 and currently based at Triangle House, Palmers Green
· The CSEP team carry out Child and Family Assessments, Child in need/protection plans and preventative work including presentations in Schools, Youth Clubs and Residential Units
· CSEP team receive 2-3 referrals a week, there are currently 59 cases at present, mainly coming from schools
· The Child in need plan aim to support the family and young person to remain at home. Core group sessions take place every 6 weeks and cases are reviewed every 3 months
· Contextual Safeguarding work include, sharing information with partner agencies at MACE meetings, Working with Community Safety Teams and working with particular schools with drug & gang related issues
· Direct one to one sessions take place to raise CSE awareness /Educational work.
· A children’s online portal will be launched in 2019 to report
Andrea Wilkinson and Karen Alderton invited the task group for discussion / questions.
1. A comment was made asking where are the emergency contact numbers being advertised for residents?
A. They are circulated on-line and have been printed on posters / leaflets.
1. It was highlighted that that they should be advertised on resident association websites also.
2. Detective Iqbal also advised that the Police emergency number to call is still 999 and Non-emergency number is 101
STRATEGY ON MODERN SLAVERY
Sharon Burgess, Head of Safeguarding Adults & Quality to present item.
Angela Bent, Head of Service – Practice Improvement and Partnerships presented the Strategy on Modern Slavery.
· The government estimates that there are as many as 13,000 people in modern slavery in the UK
· The Charter signed on the 18 October calls for a number of policies to be implemented by Enfield
· The requirements include contractors to comply fully with the Modern Slavery Act 2015, challenge abnormally low-cost tenders and publicise its whistle-blowing system any suspected examples of modern slavery
· Priorities will be set in a consultation taking place next February
AGENDA ITEMS - 7 MARCH 2019
An update on the Vulnerable Young People Task Group annual work plan for the final meeting of the municipal year. Members of the committee are to select items of preference to be included in the next agenda for the meeting on 7th March 2019.
1. Updates: Honour Based violence, Forced Marriage, Female Genital Mutilation
2. Update on the support provided to foster parents in relation in dealing with challenging behaviours
3. Contextual Safeguarding and Exploitation
4. Annual report of VYP Task Group for review
5. CAMHS update.
Members of the task group were asked to set out the agenda items for the final meeting of the municipal year.
· Updates: Honour Based violence, Forced Marriage, Female Genital Mutilation
· CAMHS update
· Contextual Safeguarding and Exploitation
DATES OF FUTURE MEETINGS
The date of the next meeting of the Vulnerable Young People Task Group will
Thursday 7th March 2019
The dates of future meetings for the Vulnerable Young People Task Group will be: Thursday 7 March 2019.
EXCLUSION OF THE PRESS AND PUBLIC
(This item will contain exempt information as defined in Paragraph 3 (information relating to the financial or business affairs of any particular person – including the authority holding that information) of Schedule 12A to the Local Government Act 1972, as amended
RESOLVED in accordance with the principles of Section 100A(4) of the Local Government Act 1972 to exclude the press and public from the meeting for the following item of business on the grounds that it involves the likely disclosure of exempt information as defined in paragraph 3 of Part 1 of Schedule 12A to the Act (as amended by the Local Government (Access to Information)(Variation) Order 2006.