This petition seeks an opportunity for councillors to
participate in a debate about Enfield's Local Plan, the most
significant and important policy choice that can be made by local
Enfield Councillors have never voted on the merits of the Local Plan 2019 – 2039 but did agree to bring the final version of the Local Plan back to a Full Council meeting.
• On 9 June 2021, the then council debated whether to consult on the "DRAFT REGULATION 18 ENFIELD LOCAL PLAN: 2019-2039“.
• They decided to do so and the consultation took place; councillors should examine, publicly, the revisions resulting from the consultation.
• Councillor Nesil Caliskan moved the report with two minor amendments
1] to have a twelve week consultation period on the Local Plan, and
2] following the consultation, to bring the final version of the Local Plan to back to a Full Council meeting.
We are asking that the council fulfils this commitment.
The Local Plan affects
• What gets built where.
• How brownfield sites are identified, prioritised and used.
• Whether the countryside is protected for future generations.
• The health and well-being of Enfield's residents.
• The quality of the air we breathe.
• Employment opportunities.
• How Enfield responds to the challenges of climate change.
• The number and type of homes built as well as the design and quality of new buildings.
• The size of tower blocks that would be permissible and where these could be built.
• What happens to Enfield’s parks, greenspaces, allotments, sports facilities and playing pitches.
• What happens to Enfield’s town centres, high streets, shops and supermarkets and transport.
• Where industrial sites are located.
• How wildlife and biodiversity are protected and enhanced.
• How Enfield's character and heritage are protected and enhanced.
Committing to a debate supports the “Levelling Up and Regeneration Bill” outlined in the recent Queen’s Speech to parliament which seeks to strengthen neighbourhood planning and community engagement with the Local Plan.
We feel this is an opportunity for Enfield. We urge this new, young, diverse Council to take the lead in making the forthcoming legislation fit for purpose: open, transparent and consultative when it holds the well being of future generations in its hands.
This Petition runs from 03/06/2022 to 31/07/2022.
1168 people have signed this Petition.