A report from the Director of Health, Housing and Adult Social Care is attached. This seeks approval to the selection of the preferred bidder for the New Avenue Development Partner. (Report No.96, agenda part two also refers) (Key decision – reference number 3793)
(9.10 – 9.15pm)
Councillor Ahmet Oykener (Cabinet Member for Housing and Estate Regeneration) introduced the report of the Director of Health, Housing and Adult Social Care (No.89) recommending the selection of a preferred development partner for the New Avenue estate renewal scheme.
1. That Report No.96 also referred, as detailed in Minute No.27 below.
2. Councillor Oykener expressed his thanks and appreciation to the officers involved in the project.
3. That this decision represented a key milestone in the regeneration of the New Avenue estate.
4. The consultation which had taken place with residents and the influence which their feedback had had on the proposed designs for the estate, section 5 of the report referred.
5. The number of new homes that would be provided, as set out in the report.
6. Members welcomed and praised the proposed scheme. It was noted that the estate would be within the area to be served by the Lee Valley Heat Network.
Alternative Options Considered: Not to appoint the recommended preferred development partner and to re-procure a development partner for the redevelopment of the New Avenue Regeneration Area. Rewinding the procurement back to the start would at best cause serious delay in delivering the project, reputational damage to the Council and a risk of challenge from the panel members who participated in the procurement exercise. It might even result in no tenders or viable tenders being returned to the Council.
DECISION: The Cabinet agreed to
1. Authorise the appointment of Bidder A as the preferred development partner.
2. Note the intention to continue to work in partnership with residents and establish a Resident Design Panel to work with the Council and Bidder A to prepare a design for submission to the planning department.
3. Delegate authority to the Director of Health, Housing and Adult Social Care, the Director of Finance, Resources and Customer Services and the Assistant Director for Legal Services to finalise the terms of the Development Agreement and all associated agreements arising out of the Development Agreement.
4. Delegate authority to the Director of Health, Housing and Adult Social Care acting where appropriate in accordance with CPO legislation to agree terms for the purchase and/or where applicable restructuring of all existing residential and non-residential property interests on the estate, and to instruct Legal Services to complete the purchases and restructuring of the residential and non-residential property interests on the terms agreed.
5. Note the intention to include in the Development Agreement an obligation on the Council to seek a Compulsory Purchase Order of the development site and to use Council powers to appropriate the New Avenue development site for planning purposes.
6. Note the estimated costs of human resource implications contained within the report were included in the budgeted project costs.
7. Note that the scope of the developer procurement did not include the management of the new homes. This would be subject to a future Cabinet decision.
Reason: Bidder A had submitted a quality bid which delivered the Council’s key requirements for ... view the full minutes text for item 15