A report from the Director of Regeneration and Environment is attached. This seeks approval of the revised Appraisals and Management proposals for a number of conservation areas in the Borough, as set out in the report. (Key decision – reference number 4013)
(8.55 – 9.00 pm)
Councillor Yasemin Brett (Cabinet Member for Community Organisations) left the meeting for the discussion of this item and took no part in the decision (Minute No.2 above refers).
Councillor Alan Sitkin (Cabinet Member for Economic Development) introduced the report of the Director of Regeneration and Environment) (No.164) presenting for approval the revised Conservation Area Appraisals and Management Proposals for the conservation areas listed in the report.
1. That thirteen of the borough’s twenty-two conservation areas had recently been reviewed and updated (Phase 1 of the review) and had been subject to extensive consultation, as detailed in the report.
2. That the Conservation Area Appraisals and Conservation Area Management Proposals for the Borough’s twenty-two conservation areas had reached the end of their five year lifespan and were therefore being reviewed and updated.
3. That the appraisals supported the Council’s commitment in its Local Plan and the management proposal documents would, in due course, form part of the Enfield Design Guide, a Supplementary Planning document to the Local Plan, as detailed in the report.
Alternative Options Considered: To not update the Conservation Area Appraisal and Management Appraisal documents. The documents approved in 2006 and 2009 were now out of date in terms of national planning policy and the recasting of the local planning policy through the Local Plan, English Heritage guidance and changes in the physical fabric of the area over the last five years from development. These documents do not provide an up-to-date policy background to support Development Management decisions, including appeals.
DECISION: The Cabinet agreed to
1. Approve the revised Appraisals and Management Proposals for the following conservation areas (Appendix 2 of the report) subject to further changes in relation to comments received from English Heritage:
· Bush Hill Park
· Clay Hill
· Enfield Lock
· Enfield Town
· Forty Hill
· Hadley Wood
· Ponders End Flour Mills
· Southgate Green
· Trent Park
· Turkey Street
· Winchmore Hill
· Vicars Moor Lane
2. Delegate authority to the Director of Regeneration and Environment to agree further minor changes to the Conservation Area Appraisals and Management Proposals to reflect comments received from English Heritage.
Reason: The documents had been through consultation with local conservation area study groups, Conservation Advisory Group and the general public via the website and a public meeting held on 14 January 2015. English Heritage made minor comments on the details of the text. Public consultation via the website resulted in one additional letter of comment. The results of the consultation and the changes made were shown in Appendix 1 of the report. The documents were therefore recommended for approval subject to minor amendments pursuant to consultation responses received from English Heritage.
(Key decision – reference number 4013)