A report from the Director of Finance, Resources and Customer Services is attached. This sets out a number of recommendations for approval by full Council. (Report No.178, agenda part two also refers) (Key decision – reference number 4175)
(8.20 – 8.30pm)
Councillor Doug Taylor (Leader of the Council) informed Members that the Council budget had been drawn up on the basis of the provisional Local Government settlement, as set out in full in the report. Enfield had not benefitted from any transitional funding elements. Pressures were particularly being experienced by Outer London Boroughs. Cabinet this evening was being asked to consider the budget being presented and make recommendations to full Council for the final budget approval. Members were asked to note that the proposed overall increase over the 2015/16 Council Tax was 1.78%, as detailed in the report.
Councillor Andrew Stafford (Cabinet Member for Finance and Efficiency) introduced the detail of the report of the Director of Finance, Resources and Customer Services (No.171).
1. That Report No.178 also referred as detailed in Minute No.19 below.
2. That the proposals within the report would enable the Council to balance the 2016/17 budget. Members were asked to note the level of savings required and the further central government funding reductions that were expected over the next 3 years.
3. The budget consultation that had taken place as set out in detail in section 4 of the report. The feedback from all of the consultation processes had been presented to the Budget Overview and Scrutiny Committee at its meeting on 1 February 2016, the minutes of which were tabled for Members’ consideration this evening as part of their consideration of the budget proposals; and would form part of the report to full Council. It was noted that the majority of consultation responses received had indicated that a rise in council tax would be preferable to further cuts in services. It was felt that further cuts in council services could not be sustained. Councillor Stafford outlined the proposed increase in the level of Council Tax as set out in detail in the report.
4. The report included full detail on the budget considerations and proposals including treasury management, risk analysis and the capital programme. The Council’s capital programme continued to be significant and would benefit the regeneration and economy of the Borough.
5. The recommendations in the report were drawn to Members’ attention. In particular Members were asked to note recommendation 2.12 of the report regarding the Government’s 4 year funding offer and that a further report would be presented to Members once sufficient details to make a recommendation were made available by the Government.
6. That recommendation 2.13 of the report sought approval to delegate authority to the Cabinet Member for Finance and Efficiency and the Director of Finance, Resources and Customer Services to agree any necessary changes in preparation of the budget 2016/17 and Medium Term Financial Plan report to Council on 24 February 2016.
7. Councillor Ayfer Orhan highlighted the work which had been undertaken by the Council and London Councils as a whole in raising the issue of, and concerns over, cuts to schools’ budgets.
8. The significant population growth in Enfield and Outer London as a whole, which was ... view the full minutes text for item 6