A report from the Director of Health, Housing and Adult Social Care is attached. This considers strategic recommendations for the future care provision of nursing and residential dementia care services for the Borough. (Report No.92, agenda part two also refers). (Key decision – reference number 4189)
(9.15 – 9.20 pm)
Councillor Alev Cazimoglu (Cabinet Member for Health and Social Care) introduced the report of the Director of Health, Housing and Adult Social Care (No.89) outlining future options for improvements to Enfield’s Nursing and Residential Dementia Care Services.
1. That Report No. 92, also referred as detailed in Minute No.25 below.
2. That the report set out the longer-term strategic recommendations for the future care provision of nursing and residential dementia care services in the Borough. The demand for provision was outlined, as set out in paragraph 1.2 of the report. In order to manage these pressures effectively, it was proposed that the Council plans for a new nursing dementia care home to be built within the next three years.
Alternative Options Considered: NOTED that the following options had been considered, as set out in full in section 5 of the report: Do Nothing; Purchase Care Home Beds out of Borough; and, Plan for the Build of a new nursing care home.
DECISION: The Cabinet agreed to
1. Note the contents of the report along with the part two report (detailed in Minute No.25 below) to support the wider strategic aims of future nursing and residential dementia care provision in the Borough.
2. Approve the strategic approach of building a new care home with nursing within the next three years.
3. Authorise officers to commence feasibility, scoping, planning and commissioning for a new circa 70 bed care home, including the tendering of a building contractor and/or care provider.
4. Delegate to the Director of Health, Housing and Adult Social Care and Director of Finance, Resources and Customer Services in consultation with the Cabinet Member for Health and Social Care and Cabinet Member for Finance and Efficiency, responsibility for the identification and approval of the site for a new care home.
5. Receive a further report on the procurement process of the building contractor and/or care provider.
Reason: By developing a wider strategy for residential and nursing care provision in the Borough, the Council could work across the current offering to co-ordinate the response to the issues outlined in the report and deliver a strategic long-term vision. Through building a new facility, the Council would be able to develop new capacity on an existing site, ensuring the quality of the building and the on-going flexibility of use as circumstances change, while also optimising the use of Council owned assets across the Borough.
(Key decision – reference number 4189)