A report from the Director - Regeneration and Environment is attached. This seeks approval of the revised Appraisals and Management Proposals as set out in the report. (Key decision – reference number 4222)
(8.35 – 8.40 pm)
Councillor Alan Sitkin (Cabinet Member for Economic Regeneration and Business Development) introduced the report of the Director – Regeneration and Environment (No.64) seeking approval of revised Conservation Area Appraisals and Management Proposals for the three conservation areas set out in the report.
1. Councillor Sitkin outlined the proposals detailed within the report. A modest contraction of the Fore Street Conservation Area south of the North Circular was proposed. Boundaries for Church Street and Montagu Road Cemeteries remained unchanged. It was noted that the changes to the Hadley Wood and Grange Park conservation areas, previously agreed under phases 1 and 2 of the review, were addenda only to include minor changes to map omissions and amendment of text accordingly as detailed in the report.
2. The extensive consultation which had taken place as set out in the report. Detailed responses received were summarised in Appendix 1 of the report. Councillor Anderson highlighted the comments which had been received with regard to enforcement and, emphasised the importance of ensuring that the responsibilities with regard to the appropriate maintenance of properties were made clear to all concerned.
3. Ian Davis (Director – Regeneration and Environment) noted the important role of appropriate voluntary groups in highlighting and monitoring issues requiring future enforcement.
4. In response to issues of clarification raised by Councillor Brett, Ian Davis (Director – Regeneration and Environment) stated that the proposals were based on the expertise of consultants Drury McPherson Partnership, as set out in the report. Members were advised that specific buildings and sites could be protected through local listings.
Alternative Options Considered: An alternative option would be not be update the Conservation Area Appraisal and Management Proposal documents. The documents approved in 2007 and 2009 were now out of date in terms of national planning policy and the recasting of the local planning policy through the Local Plan, Historic England (formerly English Heritage) guidance and changes in the physical fabric of the area since the previous review. These documents do not provide an up-to-date policy background to support Development Management decisions, including appeals. Not to update the documents would make them inconsistent with the documents for other conservation areas in the borough that had been approved and updated under Phases 1 and 2
DECISION: The Cabinet agreed to approve the
1. Revised Appraisals and Management Proposals for the following three conservation areas subject to minor changes to formatting:
· Church St, Edmonton
· Fore St, Edmonton
· Montagu Road Cemeteries, Edmonton
2. Addenda for the following two conservation areas approved under Phases 1 and 2 of the Review subject to minor changes to formatting:
· Hadley Wood
· Grange Park
Reason: The reasons for the above recommendations were set out in full in section 6 of the report.
(Key decision – reference number 4222)