A report from Tony Theodoulou, Executive Director People, is attached. (Key decision - reference number 5035)
(Report No: 159)
Councillor Alev Cazimoglu (Cabinet Member for Health and Social Care) introduced the report of the Executive Director – People (No.159) on the future operating model of Independence and Wellbeing Ltd. (IWE) from 2020/21.
1. Members expressed thanks and appreciation to Officers for a clear and transparent report which clearly set out the proposed decision on the future of IWE Ltd. The Council’s continued priority was to deliver high quality and sustainable services to its most vulnerable residents.
2. That the report recommended dissolving the Company and transferring the services back in-house to the Council. The reasons for this were explained in detail as set out in the report. This decision was being taken within a challenging financial environment and continued Government austerity measures which were impacting on the private and public sectors.
3. Members and Officers present praised the front-line staff that were providing these essential services and recognised their importance and dedication to the service users. The terms and conditions of staff would be maintained.
4. In response to questions raised, Members were advised of the benefits of insourcing the service and how the public and private sectors compared. The importance of continuing to provide good quality services was highlighted within a challenging and financially difficult environment. It was noted that insourcing services demonstrated better outcomes for residents. Outsourcing services did not generally result in financial savings.
5. Members were advised that approximately 300 staff members were involved. The staff were a valuable asset; they were on duty 365 days a year to look after the vulnerable service users and provide an essential service. The Unions had been involved in discussions and had been positive to the proposals. There would be ongoing engagement with the Unions.
6. That when IWE Ltd. had been established a review was proposed after a period of three years, this had now taken place with the resulting proposals as set out in the report.
Alternative Options Considered: NOTED, the alternative options that had been considered as set out in full in section 4 of the report.
DECISION: The Cabinet agreed to
1. Approve the dissolution of IWE Ltd. as an Enfield Council trading company and executive board.
2. Approve the transfer of services currently provided by IWE Ltd. to the Council.
3. Note that the proposed arrangement would be a relevant transfer under the Transfer of Undertakings (Protection of Employment) Regulations 2006, and all employees of IWE Ltd. meeting the relevant criteria under the Regulations would automatically transfer to the Council.
4. To delegate responsibility to the Executive Director – People in consultation with the Director of Law and Governance and the Director of Human Resources and Organisational Development to implement the above recommendations, including taking all actions required by the Council as shareholder to effect the dissolution of IWE Ltd. and the executive board.
Reason: It was the view of the Council that in-sourcing the services would better serve the Council’s own policy of in-sourcing where it made sense to do so, ... view the full minutes text for item 10