To receive a presentation outlining the regeneration and economic development priorities for 2020/21 including suggestions for the work programme 2020/21. Short briefing note attached
Cabinet Members and Officers will be asked to leave the meeting after this item.
Sarah Cary (Executive Director Place) gave a presentation on the Council’s priorities in the area of regeneration and economic development.
She highlighted the following:
· The key priorities from the Council Corporate Plan: creating a lifetime of opportunities in Enfield – good homes in well connected neighbourhoods, safe healthy and confident communities, an economy that works for everyone.
· In August Enfield had 52,000 people on furlough which was 35-40% of the working population. Levels of unemployment are predicted to be very high. It could be 1 person in 3.
· In Town Centres footfall was still well below pre-covid averages at 60-80%.
· Enfield was preparing for future possible local lockdowns.
· Following 10 years of austerity and high levels of deprivation it was a difficult time for the Council with lots of demands on services.
· Key strands of regeneration and economic development activity included:
Ø To help residents and businesses to recover from the pandemic and to support them during the recession.
Ø To improve the borough offer for employment and training, particularly for those economic inactive who are seeking employment.
Ø To implement the Housing and Good Growth Strategy, including housing development programme and estate regeneration.
Ø To progress the development of Enfield’s local plan in the context of significant planning reform.
Ø To agree and approve a Cultural Strategy and an Economic Development Strategy.
Ø To continue to deliver on Meridian Water.
· A list of suggestions for the work programme was set out.