To receive for information a copy of the Letter from Councillor Caliskan to the Secretary of State for Housing, Communities and Local Government on permitted development rights.
The panel received and noted the letter sent to the Secretary of State for Housing Communities and Local Government on permitted development rights.
1. Concern about the challenges and issues raised by the new national legislative framework.
2. The Enfield Society and the Southgate District Civic Voice had also written to the Secretary of State to express their concern about the proposals.
3. The view that the proposals would undermine town centres and traditional high streets as well as the local authorities ability to control the character of the town centres.
4. The British Property Federation were also against these proposals.
5. Preparation of an Article 4 directive was taking place but nothing could be done until the new permitted development rights were in place.
6. Local authorities were resisting the new proposals which would take powers away from local councils and their ability to control inappropriate development. They would give developers more power and local authorities less.
7. Thanks to the Leader and officers for putting together the letter.
8. The Council would have to wait to see what the Government response would be.