RECOMMENDATION: That the Head of Development Management / the Planning Decisions Manager be authorised to grant planning permission subject to conditions.
WARD: Bush Hill Park
1. The introduction by Claire Williams, Planning Decisions Manager, clarifying the proposals.
2. The planning application was reported to Planning Committee following a request from Councillor De Silva for this proposal to be considered by Members.
3. The deputation of Michael Kelly (neighbouring resident) speaking against the officers’ recommendation.
4. The deputation of Councillor Clare De Silva speaking as Bush Hill Park Ward Councillor.
5. The response of David Davidian (Applicant) and Michael Koutra (Agent).
6. Members debate and questions responded to by officers.
7. Members concern in relation to the width of the access road into the development, level of objection made by residents, loss of light, overshadowing, size of amenity space, level of consultation, massing, high density, reasons as to how the development is policy compliant, failure of the application to present how monies are to be re-invested in the social club and remaining 6 tennis courts, the size and scale of this application was much larger than the original application for 4 semi-detached houses, accuracy of the parking survey as no dates given, car parking issue not resolved, a more comprehensive archaeological survey required/conditioned and the impact, appearance and effect on the Conservation Area.
8. There was a general discussion which highlighted a number of points including the loss of the tennis courts adequacy of financial information, how the benefits are going to be secured, the acceptability of flats in a conservation area, on street parking which led to an alternative motion being proposed.
9. Motion to defer the application made by Councillor Michael Rye and seconded by Councillor Maria Alexandrou for the following reasons:
· More information on the reinvestment of monies into the social club and remaining tennis courts.
· The application to be clearer on design detail.
· Clarity on why Council Conservation officers disagree with study groups about the impact on the Conservation Area.
10. The unanimous support of the Committee to Defer the application.
AGREED to Defer the application for the reasons given below.
Reason: To seek more information on how the money from the development will be invested in the facilities by the club and to obtain further CGI images of the proposed development to better understand the appearance in the street scene/Conservation Area.