Agenda and minutes

Overview & Scrutiny Committee
Tuesday, 12th June, 2018 7.30 pm

Venue: Room 6, Civic Centre, Silver Street, Enfield, EN1 3XA. View directions

Contact: Stacey Gilmour 

Items
No. Item

583.

WELCOME & APOLOGIES

Minutes:

The Chair, Councillor Levy welcomed everyone to the first meeting of the municipal year and extended a special welcome to the Enfield Youth Parliament representative. He acknowledged that it was almost a brand new committee so there were lots of new faces around the table.

 

Apologies for absence had been received from Councillor Susan Erbil and Alicia Meniru and Simon Goulden, Co-opted Members. It was noted that Councillor Bernadette Lappage was substituting for Councillor Susan Erbil.

584.

ELECTION OF VICE CHAIR

To elect the Vice Chair of the Committee.

Minutes:

Councillor Gina Needs was elected as Vice Chair for the Overview and Scrutiny Committee for the municipal year.

585.

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST

Members of the Council are invited to identify any disclosable pecuniary, other pecuniary or non-pecuniary interests relevant to items on the agenda.

Minutes:

Councillor Lappage raised a possible interest in item 4 of the agenda; Genotin Road Car Park, Enfield Town as she is a Parishioner of Our Lady of Mount Carmel Church, London Road, Enfield.

 

The Chair said that he did not think this would be an issue due to the way in which the report will be reported this evening. It would however be noted for the minutes.

586.

GENOTIN ROAD CAR PARK, ENFIELD TOWN pdf icon PDF 182 KB

To receive a report from Sarah Cary, Executive Director of Place.   

Minutes:

RECEIVED a report from Sarah Cary, Executive Director Place.

 

The Chair, Councillor Levy advised that the report is still currently a draft document; however it is the role of OSC as a critical friend to inform, comment and possibly modify the report if necessary. However, it is not the role of OSC today to discuss the implications of what may happen further down the road as these are material considerations for planning. Cabinet will make a decision on the recommendations which may possibly include other recommendations that arise at this evening’s meeting.

 

NOTED:

 

i)                 The report follows a Cabinet report on the strategy for Genotin Road Car Park which went to Cabinet in November 2017.

ii)               Cabinet supported the retention of Metaswitch in the Borough and noted the development of a new office for them would support Enfield Town renewal and deliver positive outcomes for the whole borough.

iii)              Cabinet delegated authority to Officers to progress final terms pf the Option Agreement for the identified site of the Genotin Road car park. The delegation required a further report to Cabinet prior to any Option Agreement being entered into.

iv)             The aim of this report is for Cabinet to enable the Council to fund development of, and to grant an institutional lease for, grade A office building to Metaswitch Networks Ltd at an acceptable rate of return, whilst retaining this major employer and business in Enfield Town.

v)               It is recommended that Cabinet delegate authority to the executive Director Place and Executive Director Resources to agree final heads of Terms and enter into a contract on those terms for either Option 1 or 2, the full details of which are laid out in the Part 1 report attached to the agenda.

vi)             Fay Hammond, Director of Finance explained the alternative options that have been considered, and again, these are detailed in the part 1 report.

vii)            Sarah and Fay provided members with further information of the proposed plans and in-depth discussions took place.

 

Following discussions the following questions/comments were raised:

 

Q.      It is understood from the report that the preferred option for the Council is Option 1. Is this correct and are Metaswitch definitely on board for this option?

A.       Yes, Metaswitch have formally accepted the terms and our lawyers should have a draft copy of the Heads of Terms in their inbox today.

 

Q.      Why do you think it is the best option for the Council to fund this for Metaswitch?

A.       The due diligence that we have undertaken has proven this to be the best option as we will still have an asset at the end of it. Councillor Smith commented that the Council could still get what it wants without borrowing millions of pounds. Sarah advised that there would be a lot more detail regarding this information in the Part 2 report.

 

Q.      Are the Council going to manage this project?

A.       We will approve the project at certain points but we won’t be managing it.

 

Q.  ...  view the full minutes text for item 586.

587.

WORK PROGRAMME & WORK STREAMS 2018/19

The Deputy Leader, Councillor Anderson, to outline the Cabinet’s priorities for 2018/19.

 

The Committee to discuss Work Programme items and new workstreams for 2018/19.

Minutes:

The Chair invited Councillor Anderson, Deputy Leader, to outline the Cabinet’s priorities for 2018/19 and discussion took place on possible scrutiny topics.

 

Councillor Anderson referred to the continued financial pressures on Enfield including the further cuts of £20 million that need to be made. An ageing and growing population continues to cause increasing challenges as does Social Care due to the insufficient way it is funded. He said that it was still very early stages as to where we are at with Cabinet. The Leader of the Council has given Cabinet Members specific work to do with their Officers to map out short, medium and long term plans and it will become clearer in the next month or so what the position/outcomes will be. The Leader has mapped out three priorities in her manifesto. These are:

·       Reducing Crime.

·       Tackling Child Poverty.

·       Affordable Housing

 

Information still has to be formulated into a manner that we can work with.

 

The Chair advised that he has invited the Leader of the Council to attend a special meeting of the Overview & Scrutiny Meeting on the 26 July 2018 to provide members with a better understanding of her plans/visions.

AGREED that a calendar invitation be sent to all Members for this meeting.

ACTION: Scrutiny Secretary

 

The following issues for consideration were discussed -

  • Budget - Keep tabs on what are the knock on effects of different decisions the Council are making. The Chair added at this point that a standing financial OSC Panel may be something to be looked at further down the road. He also said Budget issues will be captured as part of OSC one way or another this year. Councillor Anderson said there are discussions to be had with the Chair of OSC and officers to look at the restructure of the Scrutiny function and how we can bolster it to ensure a much more strategic approach.
  • Commercial Arm of the Council – what proposals are they looking at/what is possible. Really need to be scrutinising what they are doing, this should be part of the financial structure. Need to look at contracting arrangements/comparisons with other boroughs, tendering processes and the use of agency staff.
  • Place, People, Resource –Does this leave any gaps in the structure of how the organisation is running. What can fall through the gaps?
  • Customer Services    Not just physical contacts (e.g. face to face/phone) but IT services as there are clear failing here and work still needs to be done.
  • Planning Department – There are currently major challenges in recruiting and retaining appropriate and adequate staff as many are going to work in the private sector. Pressure in teams is difficult, need to look at different ways of working. Need to keep tabs on this and look at Performance Indicators. Solutions need to be found fairly quickly.
  • London Plan – Where do we stand and what are the future challenges of the Mayoral Plan.
  • Housing Repairs and Maintenance – Continued problems with contractors and standards. How affective  ...  view the full minutes text for item 587.

588.

MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 11 APRIL 2018 pdf icon PDF 172 KB

To agree the Minutes of the meeting held on 11 April 2018.

Minutes:

AGREED the minutes of the meetings held on 11 April 2018.

589.

DATES OF FUTURE MEETINGS

To note the dates of future meetings as follows:

 

Provisional Call-Ins

 

Tuesday 19 June, 2018

Thursday 9 August, 2018

Thursday 13 September, 2018

Thursday 11 October, 2018

Thursday 8 November, 2018

Thursday 6 December, 2018

Thursday 20 December, 2018

Thursday 7 February 2019

Tuesday 12 March 2019

Tuesday 26 March, 2019

Thursday 11 April, 2019

 

Please note, the business meetings of the Overview & Scrutiny Committee will be held on:

 

Thursday 12 July, 2018

Wednesday 5 September, 2018

Wednesday 7 November, 2018

Tuesday 12 February, 2019

Wednesday 3 April, 2019

 

 

The Overview & Scrutiny Budget Meeting will be held on:

 

Tuesday 15 January, 2019 

Minutes:

NOTED the dates of future meeting as follows:

 

Provisional Call-Ins

 

Tuesday 19 June, 2018

Thursday 9 August, 2018

Thursday 13 September, 2018

Thursday 11 October, 2018

Thursday 8 November, 2018

Thursday 6 December, 2018

Thursday 20 December, 2018

Thursday 7 February 2019

Tuesday 12 March 2019

Tuesday 26 March, 2019

Thursday 11 April, 2019

 

Please note, the business meetings of the Overview & Scrutiny Committee will be held on:

 

Thursday 12 July, 2018

Thursday 26 July 2018 (Special OSC meeting to hear from the Leader of the Council about her plans/visions)

Wednesday 5 September, 2018

Wednesday 7 November, 2018

Tuesday 12 February, 2019

Wednesday 3 April, 2019

 

 

The Overview & Scrutiny Budget Meeting will be held on:

 

Tuesday 15 January, 2019