Venue: Virtual Meeting / Remote: Please use links on the agenda front sheet
WELCOME AND APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE
1. Councillor Aksanoglu, Chair, welcomed all attendees to the meeting, which was being broadcast live online. Committee members confirmed their presence and that they were able to hear and see the proceedings.
2. Apologies for absence were received from Councillor Maria Alexandrou who due to a conflict of interest would not have been permitted to debate or vote on the single agenda item, from Councillor Chris Bond, and from Dennis Stacey (Chair, Conservation Advisory Group).
3. Council officers involved in the meeting were introduced.
DECLARATION OF INTEREST
NOTED there were no declarations of interest from Members present.
To receive the minutes of the Planning Committee meeting held on Tuesday 21 May 2020.
To receive the minutes of the Planning Committee meeting held on Tuesday 2 June 2020.
NOTED that the minutes of the Planning Committee meetings held on Tuesday 21 May 2020 and Tuesday 2 June 2020 were agreed as a correct record.
To receive the covering report of the Head of Planning.
RECEIVED the report of the Head of Planning.
RECOMMENDATION: That subject to the completion of a S106 to secure the matters covered in this report and referral of the application to the Mayor of London and no objection being raised, the Head of Planning / Head of Development Management be authorised to GRANT planning permission subject to conditions.
1. An update report for Members had been published and circulated by email.
2. A Member site visit had taken place on Saturday 20 June 2020.
3. The introduction by Andy Higham, Head of Development Management, clarifying the proposals and highlighting the key issues and policy considerations.
4. There had been a Planning Panel public meeting in January 2020, the notes of which were appended to the officers’ report, and over 1000 comments had been received in respect of this application.
5. Receipt of objections from Bambos Charalambous Member of Parliament for Enfield Southgate and Joanne McCartney, Assembly Member for Enfield and Haringey, as set out in the update report.
6. Receipt of a further three letters of objection raising concerns including overshadowing, residential amenity, health and safety of school children, air pollution, impact on parking, impact on property values, construction noise, and affect on mental health.
7. Receipt of one further letter of support in respect of the shortage of housing and need for new homes, especially close to stations.
8. Further additional conditions in respect of Fire Statement, opaque glazing and window openings, disabled car parking, waste strategy, permitted development, and amalgamation of Condition 13 with Condition 21.
9. Receipt of a written representation from Denise Gandhi (Southgate Green Association), against the officers’ recommendation, circulated to Members.
10. The deputation of PreenalGondhea (MRICS Chartered Surveyor, member of Southgate District Civic Voice planning group and local resident.) speaking against the officers’ recommendation.
11. The deputation of Ralph Kley (neighbouring resident) speaking against the officers’ recommendation.
12. The deputation of Marianne Linden on behalf of residents of Hillside Grove and Park Road speaking against the officers’ recommendation. Without having got permission from the committee, Marianne Linden handed over to Jonathon of 43 Hillside Grove to make part of the deputation.
13. The deputation read out on behalf of Chris Horner (Southgate District Civic Voice - Conservation Advisory Group rep) against the officers’ recommendation.
14. The statement of Councillor Stephanos Ioannou, Southgate Ward Councillor against the officers’ recommendation
15. The statement of Councillor Charith Gunarwardena, Southgate Ward Councillor against the officers’ recommendation.
16. The statement of Councillor Derek Levy, Southgate Ward Councillor against the officers’ recommendation.
17. The statement in response from Holly Mitchell, Simply Planning, agent on behalf of Viewpoint Estates, the applicant.
18. Members’ debate and questions responded to by officers.
19. The Committee voted unanimously not to support the officers’ recommendation.
20. Councillor Rye’s proposal, seconded by Councillor Boztas, that planning permission be refused on the grounds of height, bulk and massing; affordable housing and the housing mix; impact on the setting of heritage assets; visually intrusive and having a detrimental impact on residential properties.
21. The unanimous support of the Committee for refusal of the application.
AGREED that the application be refused for the following reasons.
Height, Bulk & Massing
The proposed development, due to its height, bulk and massing would result in an intrusive and incongruous form of development which ... view the full minutes text for item 588.
FUTURE MEETING DATES
Meeting dates for the 2020/21 municipal year will be approved at Annual Council on 1 July.
1. Future meeting dates for 2020/21 and committee membership would be agreed at Annual Council on 1 July 2020.
2. Councillor Aksanoglu thanked everyone who had participated in this meeting for their hard work and contributions, and thanked Members and officers for all the support they had given him during his time as Chair of Planning Committee.