Venue: Room 1, Civic Centre, Silver Street, Enfield, EN1 3XA. View directions
Contact: Jacqui Hurst
APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE
An apology for absence was received from Councillor Ahmet Oykener (Cabinet Member for Housing and Housing Regeneration).
DECLARATION OF INTEREST
Members of the Cabinet Sub-Committee are invited to identify any disclosable pecuniary, other pecuniary or non pecuniary interests relevant to items on the agenda.
NOTED, that there were no declarations of interest in respect of any items listed on the agenda.
The Chair will consider the admission of any reports (listed on the agenda but circulated late) which have not been circulated in accordance with the requirements of the Council’s Constitution and the Local Authorities (Executive Arrangements) (Access to Information and Meetings) (England) Regulations 2012.
Note: The above requirements state that agendas and reports should be circulated at least 5 clear working days in advance of meetings.
NOTED, that the reports listed on the agenda had been circulated in accordance with the requirements of the Council’s Constitution and the Local Authorities (Executive Arrangements) (Access to Information and Meetings) (England) Regulations 2012 with the exception of the Annex to Report No.261 – Enfield Town Master Plan – Draft for Public Consultation (Minute No.4 below referred).
AGREED, that this report and annex be considered at this meeting.
The Chair varied the order of the agenda and considered Report No.262 – Endorsement of Monitoring Report 2015/2016 and Housing Trajectory 2016 at this point in the meeting (Minute No.5 below refers). The minutes reflect the order of the published agenda.
To receive, a report from the Executive Director – Regeneration and Environment.
Note: (Annex 1 to the report will be circulated as a “to follow” document. (Key decision – reference number 4221)
Councillor Alan Sitkin (Cabinet Member for Economic Regeneration and Business Development) introduced the report of the Executive Director of Regeneration and Environment (No.261) outlining the context for the Enfield Town Master Plan, its scope and broad content alongside the intended timetable for consultation and adoption as a Supplementary Planning Document.
Councillor Sitkin welcomed Anthony Benson (Allies and Morrison Urban Practitioners) and Martyn Saunders (GVA) to the meeting and invited them to present the Enfield Town Master Plan Framework to the Sub-Committee. The presentation included the highlights detailed below; following the introduction and overall vision:
The Objectives of the Master Plan
· More People
· More Jobs
· More Liveable
· More Connected
· More Markets and Street Life
· More Evening Activity
The objectives above were outlined and the proposals for meeting the objectives were explained. Enfield Town had been broken down into character areas for further consideration:
· Enfield Chase – infill, intensification and secondary retail
· Centre West – Chase Green Gardens, community and office campus
· Centre North – Community heart, sensitive townscape
· Core Centre – Core retail consolidation
· Enfield Town – Regeneration and growth
A range of interventions and actions were proposed which together would uplift Enfield Town as a whole. The importance of successfully adapting to change was outlined, for example, the increase in on-line shopping and development of large retail centres such as Westfield. There was a need to develop an ongoing role for town centres. A range of activities were suggested.
· Support and promote expansion of the evening economy and leisure activities
· Encourage town centre living
· Support the clustering of employment activity at the Chase side of town
· Reinforce East-West links in the town centre
· Maximise the blue and green assets and heritage and market town character
· Environmental and parking management. Members discussed the need for a clear parking strategy for Enfield Town. The Chair reported the view of Councillor Taylor, Leader of the Council, regarding parking concerns. The Cycle Enfield initiative was also highlighted.
· Investment at Enfield Town.
· Diversification of the Centre, for example, the aspiration to support the evening economy.
· Strengthening attraction of the west. Discussions were continuing on potential sites.
· Ongoing infill opportunities
· Long term investment east of Enfield Town.
Illustrations were provided to the Sub-Committee at the meeting.
Members were provided with information on 18 potential development sites, as outlined in the draft master plan document. The sites had been shown on a phased delivery basis for short, medium and long-term developments. Any development would need to be undertaken within design and planning guidance principles and on a controlled basis as opportunities came forward in the future.
Members discussed the potential individual development sites as set out in the document and noted the discussions that were ongoing with other interested parties. The master plan document would support future engagement with key landowners in looking at future development opportunities to support the overall objectives for Enfield Town. It was noted that the sites were a mixture of privately and council owned.
To receive, a report from the Executive Director – Regeneration and Environment. (Non key)
Councillor Alan Sitkin (Cabinet Member for Economic Regeneration and Business Development) introduced the report of the Executive Director of Regeneration and Environment (No.262) seeking approval of Enfield’s Local Plan Monitoring Report 2015/16 and Housing Trajectory 2016 for publication.
1. That, modifications were required to the report prior to publication. Members of the Sub-Committee would submit their comments on the document to relevant officers for co-ordination. The Sub-Committee agreed to delegate approval of the final report to the Cabinet Member for Economic Regeneration and Business Development, as Chair of the Sub-Committee, for publication, following consultation with other Members of the Sub-Committee and the Assistant Director – Regeneration and Environment.
Alternative Options Considered: None considered as the preparation of the monitoring report was a legal requirement.
DECISION: The Local Plan Cabinet Sub-Committee agreed to delegate approval of the final version of Enfield’s Local Plan Monitoring Report 2015/16 and Housing Trajectory 2016 for publication, to the Cabinet Member for Economic Regeneration and Business Development, in consultation with the other members of the Sub-Committee and the Assistant Director – Regeneration and Environment.
Reason: Preparation of the monitoring report was a statutory requirement.
To confirm the minutes of the previous meeting of the Local Plan Cabinet Sub-Committee held on 22 November 2016.
AGREED, that the minutes of the previous meeting of the Local Plan Cabinet Sub-Committee held on 22 November 2016 be confirmed and signed by the Chair as a correct record.
DATES OF FUTURE MEETINGS
To note, that this is last meeting of the Sub-Committee in the current municipal year. Dates for the next municipal year will be agreed as part of the Council’s calendar of meetings at the Annual Council meeting on 10 May 2017.
NOTED, that this was the last meeting of the Sub-Committee in the current municipal year. Dates for the next municipal year would be agreed as part of the Council’s calendar of meetings at the Annual Council meeting on 10 May 2017.