Agenda and minutes

Environment & Climate Action Scrutiny Panel - Tuesday, 8th February, 2022 7.00 pm

Venue: Conference Room, Civic Centre, Silver Street, Enfield, EN1 3XA. View directions

Contact: Email: 

No. Item




The Chair welcomed members and officers to the meeting.


Apologies for absence were received from Cllr Lindsay Rawlings.  Cllr Edward Smith was in attendance as substitution.



Members of the Committee are invited to identify any disclosable pecuniary, other pecuniary or non-pecuniary interests relevant to the items on the agenda.



There were no declarations of interest registered in relation to any items on the agenda.




To agree the minutes of the previous formal meeting held on 9 December 2021, and the notes of the informal meeting held on 11 January 2022.

Additional documents:


The minutes of the formal meeting on 9 December 2021 were agreed noting the following amendments:


1.    Cllr Thorp advised that the action detailed in point 4.1 had not been completed. Follow up with Richard Eason ACTION.

2.    Cllr Gunawardena queried that the October minutes had not been uploaded as agreed, as well as the questions and answers which he felt should be online for the public to view.  Melanie Dawson stated that the delay was regrettable, and the Governance Team had given assurance that the amendments agreed at the previous meeting would be uploaded.  Cllr Thorp requested a timeline for this and Clare Cade confirmed it would be completed by Thursday 10 February. The Chair confirmed this would be noted and uploaded.  ACTION. 

Melanie highlighted that it was not normal practice to upload questions and answers. 


The Chair proposed that the notes of the informal meeting on 11 January 2022 were received and no further action be taken.  Cllr Erbil and Cllr Guzel seconded this.


1.    Cllr Thorp requested to approve the notes as he was present at the meeting.  Melanie advised that the motion had already been passed.

2.    The Chair then requested a vote.  There were 4 votes for and 4 votes against.  The Chair used his casting vote and voted for.

3.    Cllr Thorp chaired the previous meeting and felt there was a good discussion. He emphasised his extreme disappointment at the action just taken.

4.    Cllr Anderson raised a point of order under the statutory guidance stating this was a divided committee and not functioning.  These concerns were noted.




To receive an update on the recycling performance and flytipping issues.


Jon Sharkey, Head of Public Realm Services, provided an update on current recycling performance and flytipping issues, including how it was measured and monitored.  The following points were highlighted:


1.    The Borough would be producing a new Reduction and Recycling Plan (RRP) in July 2022. 

2.    The main focus was to improve the amount of tonnage and reduce contamination.  Contamination began to increase from April 2020, however was gradually reducing thank to the outreach programme.

3.    There had been trials to improve issues in flats, such as ReLondon, which had shown some significant improvements.

4.    Currently in parks there were only litter bins, however trials of recycling bins would be taking place in four parks.

5.    Flytipping levels appeared to be back to those pre-pandemic.

6.    Sue McDaid, Head of Reg Services & Corporate H&S, gave details of the communications campaign, including working with schools and additional resources.


In response, the following comments were received from panel members:


1.    Cllr Erbil asked if there was any feedback around environmental enforcement officers and would welcome some data.  Sue McDaid would provide this ACTION.  Several fixed penalties had been issued in Upper Edmonton and it was believed the message was getting through.

2.    Cllr Thorp asked about education around contamination and suggested having more measurable data looking at the difference areas.  Jon Sharkey would provide this ACTION.

3.    In relation to education Cllr Jewell advised that he and Cllr Barnes would be visiting Chicken Shed.  Many schools had also signed up and young people were very engaged.  Cllr Thorp felt that uniformed youth organisations should be involved; this would be captured going forward.

4.    It was noted that the flytipping data was just from reports on the website and did not include MEQs, trucks that collect waste or bags by bins.  Officers would take this away and review ACTION.

5.    Cllr Thorp stated that Bexley had recycling rates of 50% therefore queried why Enfield remained around 30%.  Officers did not have details around this but would look into it ACTION.

6.    Officers were not happy with the current performance but noted the pandemic had caused issues leading to lost momentum and bad habits.  Doug Wilkinson, Director of Environment & Operational Services, highlighted that Enfield was performing well in relation to other North London boroughs.

7.    Cllr Jewell emphasised that this was a national issue however officers were aware of the areas to focus on.

8.    Cllr Guzel advised that she goes direct to officers with issues and asked if data could be gathered on issues reported and rubbish then collected.  Officers to check ACTION.

9.    Cllr Guzel highlighted the issues with trying to work with managing agents on private estates.  Officers were aware of the issues and there would be an annual review of contracts.

10. It was questioned if FPNs could be given for wheelie bins and officers advised that the threat of the FPN seemed to be enough.  Enforcement action was reduced during the pandemic however  ...  view the full minutes text for item 4.



Additional documents:


Marcus Harvey introduced the item and gave an overview of the strategy’s aims, targets and activity.


In response, members commented as follows:


1.    It was noted there was less green space in the east of the borough and this was being discussed with developers, as well as the option of using neighbourhood spaces.

2.    The National Parks Foundation was not mentioned in the report and Marcus would be revisiting this.

3.    Harvesting on agricultural land was being explored alongside Natural England, including Countryside Stewardships.

4.    Cllr Smith strongly supported the wetlands and good work was taking place in the town park.  He asked about Green Flag Sites and how many parks had the potential to become one.  Currently only Forty Hall was a Green Flag Site.  Officers were working with community groups and also looking at different awards.

5.    It was confirmed that there had been no discussions regarding changes to allotments which were currently at 97% capacity.

6.    Cllr Thorp stated that when talking to residents their main concern was the green belt being at risk.

7.    Cllr Guzel asked about football pitches.  Marcus stated it was based on demand and the lack of them.  It was suggested to also consider artificial pitches.

8.    Cllr Gunawardena raised issues related to the green belt and Meridian Water Report.  Marcus would look at this ACTION.

9.    It was noted that the 15 minutes to a park target was difficult in some places and councillors would like details of the formula used to work out the figures ACTION.

10. Cllr Aksanoglu was pleased to see improvements to the east of the borough.  Cllr Jewell pointed out that work carried out in the west impacts the east, for example with flooding.





This was the final meeting of this municipal year.