Agenda and draft minutes

Environment Forum - Tuesday, 29th June, 2021 7.00 pm

Venue: Council Chamber, Civic Centre, Silver Street, Enfield, EN1 3XA. View directions

Contact: Email: Democracy@enfield.gov.uk 

Note: Please copy and paste the following link to view a livestream of the meeting https://teams.microsoft.com/l/meetup-join/19%3ameeting_ZDMzZDllNTgtOGEzOC00MmU0LTgyYWMtZjU1YTNmYmFiMmRm%40thread.v2/0?context=%7b%22Tid%22%3a%22cc18b91d-1bb2-4d9b-ac76-7a4447488d49%22%2c%22Oid%22%3a%225afef035-34d7-45d9-bfbc-b60f8614eab4%22%2c%22IsBroadcastMeeting%22%3atrue%7d&btype=a&role=a 

Items
No. Item

1.

WELCOME AND APOLOGIES

Minutes:

Cllr Katherine Chibah (Chair) welcomed attendees to the meeting and asked everyone to introduce themselves.

 

2.

DECLARATION OF INTERESTS

Members are asked to declare any disclosable pecuniary, other pecuniary or non-pecuniary interests relating to items on the agenda.

Minutes:

There were no declarations of interest registered in respect of any items on the agenda.

3.

MINUTES FROM THE MEETING HELD ON 30TH MARCH 2021

To receive and agree the minutes of the meeting held on the 30th March 2021.

Minutes:

The minutes of the meeting held on the 30th March 2021 were agreed as a correct record.

4.

WORK PROGRAMME 2021-2022 pdf icon PDF 92 KB

To consider and agree the work programme attached for 2021-2022.

Minutes:

Cllr Katherine Chibah (Chair) presented the work programme (copy can be viewed on-line with the agenda). 

 

The following additional comments were received:

 

1.         John West (Enfield Society) asked what aspect of the New River Loop were to be discussed in September.

            In response: Sarah Cary advised that a representative from Thames Water is to join us in September.

2.         Dennis Stacey asked which version of the Local Plan is current for the discussion in July.

 

In response: Cllr Chibah (Chair) advised that the consultation is running on-line until the end of September.

 

In addition, Sarah Cary advised that the Local Plan is being regulated through the Regulation 18 code since 2019 and a revolved version is now available, but it is expected to take at least 5 years to formalise as the dates keep shifting in line with the national planning policy framework. The consultation of the local development scheme is currently running until next June/July when the final version of the Plan is due to be heard at full Council.  It is expected that the Inspector will hear this for adoption by 2023. The government would like to see the Local Plan be adopted in 2 years, but this is quite ambitious as this will need to include any significate government changes.

 

On the 27th July it would be useful to hear and consider feedback on the Local Plan as part of the consultation process.  Saray Cary to arrange for a short presentation and provide opportunity for discussion. Action: Sarah Cary

 

3.         David Cockle asked whether the current bus review around Meridian Water can be extended Borough wide.

 

            In response, Dominic Millen advised that Meridian Water are already working on Phase 2 of the development and are using Section 106 monies to deliver bus re-routing. On improving the wider bus network there are ongoing discussions with TfL, although the current funding challenges mean there are limited opportunities for changes at the moment.

 

4.         David Cockle asked for an update on the Lea Valley Railway Line.

 

            In response, Dominic Millen noted that a request had been forwarded to the Meridian Water team.

 

5.         Dennis Stacey asked if Andy Higham (Head of Development Management) can come and talk to the Forum in respect of enforcement issues, especially the PA 18/01991/FUL site adjacent to Old Park Ridings. 

 

            In response: there have been some staffing issues within the department recently, but Sarah Cary will update him on the specific planning application.  Action: Sarah Cary

 

 

In conclusion, the work programme was agreed

 

 

 

5.

CLIMATE ACTION PLAN UPDATE

To receive an update on the Climate Action Plan from Dominic Millen (Group Leader of Transport, Planning and Policy).

Minutes:

The Forum received an overview on the progress of the Climate Action Plan 2020-2021 by Dominic Millen, Head of Climate Action and Sustainability.

 

There has been significant progress over the past year with recent highlights including:

 

1.         Developing and soft testing of Ethical & Sustainable Procurement Policy

2.         Draft Local Plan including progressive approach to new domestic buildings

3.         Recruiting a Water and Energy Officer and looking at jointly funded post to cover buildings

4.         Early work on green business forum

5.         Published Schools’ Climate Action Handbook

6.         Retrofit London action plan drafted

7.         External engagement and reporting.

 

There is also the preparation of the 2020-21 Progress Report, which will include:

 

·         Highlights from 2020/21

·         Review of carbon emissions in 2020/21

·         Challenges and opportunities such as adaption and resilience, alignment with the UN’s sustainable development goals and embodied carbon.

·         Updates on each action and key performance indicator.

 

The Progress Report delivers against the Council’s commitment to review performance and publish progress on an annual basis.

 

The intention is to have a four-week engagement period in July / August with publication in August. The engagement period is seen as an opportunity to get:

 

      Thoughts on how we can best talk to people about our work and what is of most interest.

      A better understanding of what you are doing and your climate action priorities.

 

In response, the following comments were received:

 

a.            Cllr Rawlings noted that it was pleasing to see adaptation is being looked at.

b.            The recycling rate is low in Enfield and it would be beneficial to all concerned if the residents can get involved in some way, albeit small, so that they can be seen to make a difference. It was noted that improving waste collection and recycling rates, as well as addressing fly tipping, are being looked at and feedback can be given to a future meeting.

b.         Cllr Rawlings asked if the Climate Change Task Force minutes were available on the website and in response, it was confirmed that the aim is to put them on the Council’s website around two weeks after the meeting.

c.         Cllr Rawlings was concerned that the public engagement covering a 4-week period during the busy holiday period was not an ideal time with school holidays etc.  In response, it was acknowledged that an earlier start to the engagement would have been preferable but had not been possible due to staff capacity

d.         Cllr Rawlings asked when in the autumn the progress report would be ready, and it was confirmed that the aim is to publish it in August.

e.         Cllr Saray Karakus asked if public briefings were to be arranged to talk through the plans. In response, Dominic advised that the Climate Action and Sustainability would be happy to speak to interested groups.

f.          Dennis Stacey asked for clarity on how the waste was delivered to the North London Waste Authority incinerator and whether using waterways had been considered.  In response, Dominic advised that this would require vehicles to  ...  view the full minutes text for item 5.

6.

SCHOOL STREETS UPDATE

To receive an update on School Streets.

Minutes:

Richard Eason, Healthy Streets Programme Director, provided an update on School Streets.

 

In response the following comments were received:

 

1.         Cllr Rawlings asked for an update on Worcester School and Capel Manor Primary School.  In response, Richard advised that a report was being prepared for the current experimental projects and a decision has not been made yet as each school is being looked at on a school by school basis. Decisions should be finalised by the autumn.  Zebra crossings and traffic calming measures could potentially be installed where for other schools in the future where School Streets are not feasible.

 

2.         Cllr Aksanoglu thanked officers for the works undertaken so far and suggested that Raglan School would benefit from a School Street system. Autumn Close is also a problem when parents are dropping off in the mornings and afternoons.  In response Richard advised that Officers had been in discussion with Raglan school. Raglan School on Wellington Road is on a bus route and this is a challenge. The Council are working with the schools to see if they could reconfigure new entrances, but this is complicated and a longer-term solution.

 

3.         The issue of traffic during school times on Bincote Road and Worlds End Lane was discussed.  In response, Richard advised that interventions were being looked at and feedback to be given.

 

4.         Richard advised that all the schools are being written to get expressions of interest in relation to STARS and schools need to register interest in the first instance.  John West suggested writing to all the School Chair of Governors and let them know about this initiative.

 

5.         Dennis Stacey asked if the Council can close Raglan Drive. Richard to find out more information about this area. Action: Richard Eason

 

6.         Dennis asked if many schools breach the zig zag lines. In response Richard advised that many schools struggle with this issue and schools and the Council need to work in partnership, with Council enforcement taking place as much as resources allow.

 

7.         Cllr Aksanoglu suggested that enforcement levels should be improved during school pick up hours. Although staffing and funding levels are low - comments on this issue would be welcomed.  Action: Richard Eason to feed this back to team.

 

7.

ANY OTHER BUSINESS

To consider any other items put forward for discussion.

Minutes:

David Cockle of the Enfield Transport Users Group suggesting some joined up thinking in respect of the new footpath at the west bank of the River Lea.  The end of the footpath tappers off and needs to be finished off to the end of the cul-de-sac.

 

 

Andrew Newman of the Clay Hill Study Group requested that the Whitewebbs Park be prioritised at a future meeting in order to provide a useful discussion on proposals and future planning applications.  AGREED: Koulla to add this to the work programme

8.

DATE OF FUTURE MEETINGS

To note the dates agreed for future meetings of the Forum:

 

27th July 2021

 

28th September 2021

Minutes:

The date of the next meeting was confirmed as Tuesday 27th July 2021.

 

It was confirmed that all future meetings continue to be held in person at the Civic Centre.

 

 

Dates for future meetings are as follows:

 

Tuesday 27th July 2021

Tuesday 28th September 2021

Tuesday 19th October 2021

Wednesday 24th November 2021

Wednesday 12th January 2022

Tuesday 15th February 2022

Tuesday 29th March 2022