Agenda and draft minutes

Environment Forum - Tuesday, 19th October, 2021 7.00 pm

Venue: Conference Room, Civic Centre, Silver Street, Enfield, EN1 3XA. View directions

Contact: Email: Democracy@enfield.gov.uk 

Items
No. Item

1.

WELCOME AND APOLOGIES

Minutes:

Cllr Katherine Chibah (Chair) welcomed everyone to the meeting and apologies for lateness were received from Cllr Mahmut Aksanoglu.

 

Apologies for absence were received from Sarah Cary (Executive Director - Place), Cllr Saray Karakus, Ann Bishop-Leggett (Federation of enfield Residents and Allied Associations), Juliet Barnett, Trent Park Conservation Committee).

2.

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST

Members of the Forum are invited to identify any disclosable pecuniary, other pecuniary or non-pecuniary interests relevant to items on the agenda.

 

Minutes:

There were no declarations of interest registered in respect of any items on the agenda.

3.

AGREE MINUTES FROM THE ENVIRONMENT FORUM ON 27TH JULY 2021 pdf icon PDF 91 KB

To agree the minutes taken at the last Environment Forum which took place on the 27th July 2021.

Minutes:

The minutes of the previous meeting dated 27th July 2021 required some minor amendments and have been republished accordingly.

 

Matters Arising:

 

Attendees expressed their disappointment that the meeting to be held on 28th September was cancelled and apologies were given.

 

Attendees at the previous meeting were disappointed that the format of the meeting was based on break out groups/sessions.  The minutes broadly reflected discussions held within the groups. 

 

Attendees

 

AGREED that:

 

1.         Andrew Newman (Clay Hill Study Group) to clarify and put together some views collectively. 

 

2.         Thereafter, the Chair will report these back to the relevant Officers.

 

3.         The Chair to speak to Sarah Cary with regard to an update on enforcement and chase Cllr Savva.

 

 

 

 

4.

RESTORING ENFIELD'S RIVERS PROJECT

To receive an update from Thames 21 on the restorations of Enfield’s Rivers Project.

Minutes:

A presentation was received from Sam Bentley-Toon (Engagement Manager Thames 21) updating the Forum on the restorations of Enfield’s Rivers Project.

 

The following information was highlighted:

 

1.         Thames 21 are working in partnership with Enfield Council on restoring their key rivers, namely Turkey Brook, Salmons Brook, River Lea and Pymmes Brook.

 

2.         Issues affecting Enfield’s Rivers include pollution, litter, invasive   species, highly modified watercourses and risk of flooding.

 

3.         There are 9 wetlands in the borough, with their main aim being to store rainwater and avoid floods Working with Thames21 and involving volunteers helps to look after these features better”

 

 

4.         River Action Days are run on Tuesdays, Thursdays and the last Sunday of each month and a variety of activities take place with volunteers, for example volunteers help to remove Himalayan Balsam and carry out river clean up sessions.

 

5.         Wetland and bankside vegetation management takes place periodically by volunteers also.

 

6.         Citizen Science Days take place, monitoring rivers and sampling pollutants etc.  Weekly River Action days with Enfield Clubhouse also take place.

 

7.         Wild walks are available for those interested in wildlife.  Different wildlife species support rivers in Enfield.

 

8.         Nature prescribing - Work with health referral partners link people to projects provides multiple wellbeing benefits of volunteering to improve nature. 

 

9.         Partnering with local community groups and youth groups help provide inclusion.

 

 

In response the following comments were received:

 

1.         Regarding to tree planting, it was noted that volunteers are hoping to start planting trees this season involving schools and the local community.  Enfield Society can advertise.

 

2.         Boats were suggested to collect duck weed instead of nets, but this was not deemed the best method.  ACTION: Ian Russell to speak to Marcus Harvey about possibly using boats.

 

3.         More information is needed to guide residents on the disposal of vehicle oil which has been seen in Pymmes Park Lake. 

 

Information Boards will be installed in Albany Park to provide valuable information on how the river restoration and wetlands function and to help address concerns.  It was noted that the seating and bins etc were going in first and the Boards would be the last items to be erected.  Information can also be put on our Council website.

 

4.         Pupil Referral Unit are not being used but other schemes in the youth service have been contacted and this needs to be followed up. ACTION: Sam Bentley-Toon.

 

5.         Advertising takes place through the Enfield Social Newsletter and Andrea De Lucy will assist with advertising posters on the Council’s website and target specific groups.  Ward Councillors are notified of bigger events going on in the Borough and this can be extended to the smaller events also.

 

6.         Looking at the overall structure of the watercourses, do Enfield create wetlands to make the Borough more attractive or manage water going into the River Lea?  Does Enfield Council have a future strategy to manage where water is going to?

 

            In response, much work is being done with Enfield Council.  Monies are  ...  view the full minutes text for item 4.

5.

NEW RIVER LOOP

To receive a verbal update on the New River Loop.

Minutes:

The Forum received a presentation from Ian Russell, Principal Engineer, updating the panel on work undertaken on the New River Loop.

 

The following information was highlighted:

 

1.         The New River Loop was completed in 1613 and the New river remains a vital part of London’s water network, providing clean water to drink.  Water is sent to three of Thames Water’s large storage reservoirs, The King George, Hornsey and Stoke Newington to be treated. It then provides 8% of London’s water supply.

 

2.         Major improvement works were carried out in early 2000s funded by the     Lottery Heritage fund.

 

3.         Problems incurred by the New River Loop include; lack of water due to dry sunny periods, pollution, algal blooms and dead fish.

 

4.         Actions to be taken include:

 

·         upgrading pumps and investigating opportunities to divert rainfall (Chase Green Wetlands).

·         chalk treatment will help break down organic silt alongside silt removal in selected areas

·         Improve footpaths and revetments and provide signage.

 

 

A management plan has been sent to Councillors to provide feedback. Once consultations received, the information will be publicised.

 

In response, the following comments were received:

 

1.         Thames Water is constantly doing work on their assets. They have agreed to top up the water supply in the loop subject to availability.  This will help to alleviate problems with dead fish and algae.

 

2.         Good communications between the Council and Thames Water is held, they will be updating their management plan which needs to be a shared document to demonstrate their commitment to collaborative working.

 

3.         Any misconnections from bad plumbing, resulting in excess household wastewater coming into the river should be reported.  Surveys are conducted and reported back to Thames Water. Prosecutions by the Council can be a protracted process but are sometimes successful. 

 

 

The Chair thanked the Officers for their informative presentation.

 

6.

DATES OF FUTURE MEETINGS AND NOTE UPDATED WORK PROGRAMME pdf icon PDF 89 KB

To note the dates of the next meetings as follows and note the updated work programme attached,

 

24th November 2021

12th  January 2022

15th February 2022

29th March 2022

Minutes:

The updated work programme was agreed.

 

The date of the next meeting was confirmed as 24th November 2021.