Councillor Nesil Caliskan (Leader of the Council) introduced the report of the Executive Director – Place (No.164) recommending the Edmonton Leeside Area Action Plan for adoption.
1. The background to the development of the Edmonton Leeside Area Action Plan as detailed in the report.
2. That the Edmonton Leeside Area Action Plan (ELAAP) would form part of Enfield’s Local Plan and would specifically deliver the spatial vision and land use strategy for the first phases of the Council’s flagship regeneration area of Meridian Water, as set out in the report.
3. The Plan would also encourage other private stakeholders within Meridian Water to join the Council’s vision and aspirations with for example, the provision of affordable housing; public spaces; low carbon heat network; and, high quality design standards. The Plan covered a period of 12 years. The Council’s borough-wide approach to the use of strategic industrial land was also highlighted.
4. A detailed discussion took place on the development of the ELAAP; the processes which had been followed and the desired outcomes, as set out in the report and appendices. Members noted the issues which had been raised by the Inspector and how the points raised had been addressed.
5. The Council’s target for the delivery of 5,000 new homes over the next 12 years. Members noted that the development of Meridian Water was over a 25-year period. The proposals for meanwhile uses for the land were also noted.
6. Members questioned how the Plan would address the issue of climate change. It was noted that the Plan contained specific policies with regard to connecting to the Council’s low carbon heat network; which would help to address the issue of climate change in the Borough.
Alternative Options Considered: None considered as having an adopted and comprehensive planning framework for the area provided a basis for setting the area specific planning policies by which decisions on development would be guided. This was essential to support the Council’s regeneration programme, particularly in light of on-going as well as future investment opportunities.
DECISION: The Cabinet agreed to
1. Note receipt of the Planning Inspector’s final report (set out in Annex 1 of the report) that concluded the Edmonton Leeside Area Action Plan was “sound” and legally compliant subject to the Main Modifications being incorporated into the final plan.
2. Recommend to Council formal adoption of the Edmonton Leeside Area Action Plan (Annex 2 to the report) to form part of Enfield’s Local Plan.
Reason: NOTED, the reasons for the recommendations as set out in section 4.1 of the report.
(Key decision – reference number 4982)