Agenda and minutes

Environment Forum - Thursday, 26th January, 2023 7.00 pm

Venue: Conference Room, Civic Centre, Silver Street, Enfield, EN1 3XA. View directions

Contact: Email: 

No. Item


Welcome and Apologies


The Chair welcomed everyone to the meeting and apologies for absence were received from Cllr Hannah Dyson and Cllr Stephanos Ioannou, who was substituted by Cllr Edward Smith and Cllr Maria Alexandrou, respectively.


Apologies were also received by Mr Paul Hutchinson, Grange Park Conservation Area.


The Chair agreed to amend the running order of the agenda to accommodate the request of Harriet Bell, Heritage Officer, as she needed to leave the meeting early, therefore agenda item No: 5 was taken first.  However, for clarity the minutes are shown in the order of the published agenda.


Declarations of Interest Declaration of Interests

Members of the Forum are invited to identify any disclosable pecuniary, other pecuniary or non-pecuniary interests relevant to items on the agenda.


There were no declarations of interest registered in respect of any items on the agenda.


Agree minutes of meeting held on the 23rd November 2022 pdf icon PDF 186 KB


The minutes of the meeting held on the 23rd November 2022 were agreed.


Under number 7. Any Other Business – Telecommunication Masts in the Borough, an update will be circulated from Brett Leahy (Director of Planning & Growth) team, as there is no capacity within the work programme to discuss this at a future meeting during this Municipal Year.


Climate Action Update pdf icon PDF 1 MB

To receive a Climate Action Update.


RECEIVED a progress update on Climate Action in the Borough.


NOTED the preliminary summary of external engagement published with the agenda.


IN RESPONSE the following comments/questions were received:


Q.       How can people get involved? How can the Council make sure that residents are aware of what is going on?  There are many priorities to be considered and the public can decide if they are given access to the information easily.

A.       The Environment Forum is a good platform to share information.  Members of the Enfield Transport Users Group and other groups link into many areas of the Climate Action Plan, including sustainability and others. The main priority is spreading the word on what is being done.  Elected members are aware of many more community groups than officers and can help spread the information further.  It is everybody’s responsibility to involve as many people as possible.  The Council is open to working with the community groups to spread awareness. Outreach to communities comes from networking and further involvement can be sought through this forum.


Q.       How can the Council work with TFL to improve the area.

A.       Regular contact with TFL. Our views are very important to them as the Mayor of London’s commitment to providing sustainable transport facilities and sharing their financial business model highlighting passenger sales etc. In particular, the standard of buses at certain times of the day and Enfield are currently aligned with their objectives. Action: Doug Wilkinson to speak to TFL in respect of bus services.


Q.       Do we have wider groups so that we can proactively reach out?

A.       Internal engagement is progressing through the Council, landlord forums, community forums, Friends of Parks, resident groups and networking with existing forums is crucial to engagement, creating unions to increase interest.


Q.       How do you reach out to businesses in the Borough? Have you considered attending BNI group meetings, where local businesses meet and share information etc?  In respect of going green and solar panels – how much involvement do the planning department have to share advice on this. Islington Council have lime-green bikes, can Enfield look at bike hire schemes?

A.       It is difficult to increase interest.  Pan London wide is overseen by the GLA and this is being progressed by them.  It is not currently commercially viable in outer London, and London Councils are exploring that option.  Enfield does have the infrastructure but needs the volume of people to use it.

          In respect of connecting with the BNI groups, this will be explored. Action: Rafe Bertram

          In response to the ongoing green issue, each planning application is reviewed in line with the London Plan, and we are currently meeting zero carbon standards. Greenspace is being reviewed by the relevant teams, ensuring each planning application is resilient to flooding, green roots etc.


Q.       What is Enfield’s contribution to satisfy what the Mayor of London wants to do in terms of delivery of business etc compared to other London Boroughs? Is there a clear target?

A.       The  ...  view the full minutes text for item 4.


Updated Enfield Local Heritage List pdf icon PDF 2 MB

To receive the updated Enfield Local Heritage List.


RECEIVED a review of the Local Heritage List from Harriet Bell, Heritage Officer and Christine White, Heritage and Urban Design Manager.          




1.    Key points were highlighted

2.    Local Heritage List was approved in 2018.

3.    PPG recommends review every 2 years. Heritage Strategy allows for annual review although programme disrupted by pandemic.

4.    New recommendations include 46 new entries, 4 removals, 8 amendments to increase and 1 amendment to reduce.

5.    8-week consultation to include direct mail and website. 

6.    Once responses are reviewed and information collated, there will be a portfolio decision and expected publication of decision is due spring-summer 2023.


The following comments and questions were received:


Q.   What work is being done in the east of the borough to provide better representation of this area of Enfield?

A.   Close working with REACT, EREC and Enfield Society from Heritage Strategy continuing to enable a group to be established on the east side of the borough to form part of the Heritage Forum.  This is an ongoing piece of work encouraged by proposals on the east side.


Q.  How can the Local List be promoted?

A.  This is part of the work to be considered as part of the comms strategy to update the revised list.  We will need to go out to groups and spread the word.  With the new Dugdale Centre opening, we can showcase what we know and ask them to promote on our behalf.  The Environment Forum can help in this regard by asking all participating groups to share the information.  Perhaps to showcase information on websites and forums on an easy-to-read document. 


Q.  Is it possible to send all the Members a link to advise them where the consultation is? Also, the Hadley Wood Local Neighbourhood Plan has been going on for many years now, what information is currently available regarding adoption or completion of this process and why has it taken so long?

A.  Harriet Bell will send the appropriate link out as requested.

      Regarding the Hadley Wood Local Neighbourhood Plan, due process is being adhered to and is ongoing. The Regulation 16 consultation is now underway.


Q.  Can additional information be added to the consultation?

A.  Nominations are now closed.


Q.  Are planners aware of sites from the GIS System?

A.  The GIS map should trigger notification of sites during the consultation in respect of our work.


Q.  When is the consultation starting?

A.  Governance is still in progress but should start within the next 2 weeks.

Q.  What are the four removals?

A.  Pymmes Mews, Hollywood Gardens, 27 High Street Southgate, Jubilee Park, Edmonton.




·         Working collaboratively is a good idea, especially by volunteers who have done some training. Perhaps putting forward some additional heritage assets.  It is reassuring that only one big building is gone.


·         In Lancaster Road, there are some commemorative transfers erected which are proving cheaper than the traditional plaques. Owners may wish to have transfers on their buildings.


·         Planning Officers to be made aware of the  ...  view the full minutes text for item 5.


Date of Next Meeting

To agree the date of the next meeting as Thursday 2nd March 2023.


The date of the next meeting was confirmed as Thursday 2nd March 2023. 


Items on the agenda will be:


1.    Parks (to include management and maintenance)

2.    Air Quality

3.    Edmonton Centre


Members are asked to consider specific topics within these items and let the Chair know in order for officers to prepare relevant updates.